Reflection

Science is a field which can simplify the universe but can be very complicated for those who do not understand the scientific concepts. In science, everything is portrayed by a number, a symbol, definitions, and terms that have a broader meaning, for example, biogenesis. Being highly interested in science, these terms are not new to me, and listening or reading about them does not hinder my understanding of the concept. However, I have never questioned, if others could understand these things the same way. Especially, the importance of making everyone understand a scientific concept, never came to my mind.

This changed after I enrolled in the English for Sciences course (ENG21003) in The City College of New York. This course introduced me to the idea and importance of communication between the scientific community and the people in the general. For example, writing a research paper, portraying one’s ideas, and making sure it reaches the people from other areas of expertise. There is even a communication barrier between theoretical and applied physicists. Overcoming these barriers requires one specific realization, knowing who my audiences are.

Furthermore, the course introduced me to an interesting way of letting all the ideas circulating in my mind pour out on the paper, free writing. Not only, it is helpful to clear the mind, but also, it leaves a sheet of paper with all the ideas that were in the head to begin with, making it easy to identify what I need, where can I link it to, and what ideas should be just left alone.

Moreover, annotating papers from researchers, as well as, making an informative review on those, and lastly, writing an ethically controversial scientific paper. These writings helped me improve my interpretation of scientific papers, additionally, introduced me to the controversies that may arise due to some findings in a research. I also understood that, perceiving both sides of the controversy, is very important when making your findings acceptable to the most people as possible.

In addition, similar to the previous English Language and Literacy Course, I was introduce to the library resources, online database etc. However, unlike the previous course, this time the searches were centered around scientific peer reviewed articles. This made me more flexible in using sources to compose a writing more effectively.

Before concluding, this course also made me more aware to the importance of revising and editing work. It gave me multiple opportunities through draft writing to final paper submission, where I was able revise my work multiple times which as a result only further improved my work.

Finally, this course have provided me a very important step towards my goal, which is to become a researcher in a very controversial field, biotechnology.